Manila Doctors Hospital (MDH) started operations in 1956. MDH is owned and governed by the Manila Medical Services, Inc. (MMSI), which was incorporated by 14 physicians (see list below) in 1953 as a prelude to establishing MDH in United Nations Avenue, Ermita, Manila. On February 27, 1979, the Metrobank Foundation, Inc. (MBFI) became the majority stockholder of MMSI. MDH has been envisioned by MBFI to be its major corporate social responsibility project in health. In May 2003, the term of existence of MMSI has been extended to another 50 years (2053).
Since its beginning, Manila Doctors Hospital has been a private tertiary hospital with an authorized bed-capacity of 300. Over the years, it has continually developed its entire medical and support departments to become one of the top five and top-of-mind hospitals in Metro Manila.
Manila Doctors Hospital started with a single 5-storey building in 1956. On August 15, 1984, an 8-storey Medical Arts Center was built to house more clinics for physicians given the privilege to practice in the hospital. In July 1989, a 12-storey Norberto Ty Medical Tower was built to house more patient rooms and provide more spaces for ancillary and other support services.
Major renovations started in 2003. On December 8, 2003, the Metrobank Foundation Hall at the Penthouse of Norberto Ty Medical Tower was inaugurated. In 2004, the 5-storey Ancillary Services Center was completed, and it housed the Industrial Medical Services Department, Medical Records, Finance Directorate, dormitory, and the MDH Chapel. On December 8, 2005, the 5-storey Doña Salustiña Medical Tower was inaugurated, and it housed more physicians’ clinics and ancillary services, as well as parking spaces and the hospital cafeteria.
On December 18, 2013, MDH starts gearing up for major expansion with the groundbreaking of its new 18-storey medical tower. Still called the Norberto Ty Medical Tower, the building will house more medical and diagnostic services, specialty centers, more than 200 patient rooms, 64 doctors’ clinics, more than 160 parking slots, administrative offices, and a helipad
The Hospital has progressively acquired state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic equipment. At present, it has more recent models of CT Scan, Gamma Camera Scan, and Laparoscopic equipment.
In December 2005, MDH became the first hospital in Manila to be ISO 9001:2000 certified. It continued to be accredited by the Department of Health and PhilHealth. The Hospital was also named as Center of Excellence by PhilHealth in 2010. MDH is also the first hospital in Manila to be accredited by Accreditation Canada International.
MDH now has 10 accredited medical specialty residency and fellowship programs. Its residency programs in the fields of Emergency Medicine, Family and Community Medicine, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolarynogology, Pediatrics, Radiology, and Surgery.
It also has fellowship programs in Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Pain Management, and Pulmonology.
Corporate Social Responsibility
MDH has been conducting in-hospital social service programs for underserved members of the community and in-house medical-surgical missions.
From 1956 to 2002, the medical director was being assisted by the administrator appointed by the Sisters of the Congregation of Saint Paul of Charles in the day-to-day governance of MDH. From 2002 to 2004, MDH was administered by a hospital director from the Hospitalia, International. From 2005 to present, the hospital director is being assisted by three directorates and seven division heads in the day-to-day administration of MDH.
The Corporate Planning Office was established in 2005 to facilitate, develop and coordinate the corporate, strategic and operational planning processes and activities of the hospital. Formal strategic planning and annual planning conferences have been held regularly since 1999.
The fourteen (14) founders of MDH and original incorporators of MMSI are:
DR. MARIANO M. ALIMURUNG – Cardiology
DR. GONZALO F. AUSTRIA – Internal Medicine
DR. BENJAMIN BARRERA – Pathology
DR. JANUARIO ESTRADA, SR. – General Surgery
DR. JOSE Y. FORES – General Surgery
DR. TIERRY F. GARCIA – Otolaryngology
DR. ROMEO H. GUSTILO – Neurosurgery
DR. SEVERINO P. LOPEZ – Ophthalmology
DR. CONSTANTINO P. MANAHAN – Obstetrics and Gynecology
DR. CARLOS MARQUEZ – Radiology
DR. FLORENCIO QUINTOS – Pediatrics
DR. CARLOS SEVILLA – EENT
DR. AMBROSIO F. TANGCO – General and Orthopedic Surgery
DR. JOSE R. VILLANUEVA – Obstetrics and Gynecology
The medical directors and administrators of MDH are:
DR. CONSTANTINO P. MANAHAN
DR. JOSE R. VILLANUEVA
DR. AMBROSIO F. TANGCO
DR. DANTE D. MORALES (1995–2010)
DR. MARIO JOSELITO M. JUCO (2010–present)
SR. LA CROIX, SPC
SR. MARIE MADELEINE DENOGA, SPC
SR. HELEN OF THE CROSS, SPC
SR. JAMES TAGUINOD, SPC
SR. FIDELES DE MARIE, SPC
SR. MARIE PAULINE, SPC
SR. MARIE ROSAMOND, SPC
SR. MARY PHILIP GALENO, SPC
SR. ESTELLE MARIE CAMAGAN, SPC
DR. REX M. MENDOZA (2001–2011)
DR. HIAN HO N. KUA (2011–2013)
DR. TERRENCE L. CHAM (2013–present)
DR. GRACIA TIONG
MS. RITA WANNINGER
ATTY. PILAR P. ALMIRA (2006–2012)
DR. HIAN HO N. KUA (2013–present)